Benefits Newsletter December 2017
Keep your holiday healthy
Winter is the season for cold and flu. The stress of the holidays can lower your immune system, which doesn’t help when you’re likely to be around more people and exposed to more germs. This winter, be sure to defend yourself as best as you can.
- Get your flu shot. It’s the number one thing you can do to prevent the flu. Flu shots are available for free at any onsite clinic.
- Wash your hands – a lot. Lather your hands with plenty of soap and scrub hard with hot water for 20 seconds or more. A good way to time yourself is to sing “Happy Birthday” twice while scrubbing the backs of your hands, between your fingers and under your nails.
- Keep up a healthy lifestyle. Get adequate rest, practice good nutrition, don’t smoke and stay active.
If you do find yourself under the weather, your American Airlines benefits have you covered. Visit one of the convenient onsite clinics located at our hubs and large workplaces. If, after normal office hours, you aren’t able to see your doctor or visit an onsite clinic, use Doctor on Demand to be immediately connected to a doctor using your smartphone or tablet. Text “American” to 68398 for a link to download the app.
In the mail: Benefit ID Cards
U.S.-based mainline team members who enrolled in the Core, Standard or Value medical options for 2018 will receive new medical ID cards in the mail by January 1. Make sure to verify your address is listed correctly in Jetnet. If you have an appointment in January and haven’t received your ID card, you can log into BCBS or UHC to print out a temporary card. You can also access your ID card through the BCBS or UHC Mobile Apps.
Managing holiday stress
The holidays are not a happy time for everyone. The winter holidays can be stressful for many reasons, but you don’t have to go at it alone. If you are feeling overwhelmed, sad, depressed or worried, you can find help from the Employee Assistance Program. The EAP is standing by to offer an array of assistance from just listening, to advice and tools to build a better you. The EAP is available to all team members and all members of their household.
Visit LiveAndWorkWell.com and enter access code: American, or call 1-800-363-7190 to get some help this holiday season. Remember, you and your family members can also get four free in-person visits with a licensed counselor through the program.
Get a jump on your New Year’s resolution
Who says that a healthier, happier you has to start January 1? Get help improving yourself, learn how to make better eating choices and get motivated to exercise more from a WebMD health coach. Working with a trained coach will keep you on track with whatever your goals are. Sometimes the hardest part of achieving a goal is just getting started, so don’t wait. Tackle your goal with a personalized plan and support from a coach.
Visit my.aa.com/webmd-wellness to schedule your call today.
Tips for eating but not gaining during the holidays!
With holiday cookies, pies, parties and dinners in abundance, it’s important to be mindful of your eating. Use these Naturally Slim tips to maintain your healthy lifestyle.
- Drink a glass of water or H2Orange first thing in the morning to combat dehydration.
- Indulging in a sugary treat when you really want it is okay once in a while, but don’t snack on sweets simply because they are there.
- Chewing your food slowly; and taking time to actually taste what you are eating can help you feel more satisfied.
- Setting your fork down between bites and taking a break after 10 minutes is an excellent way to avoid overeating.
- Interested in joining the next Naturally Slim class? Applications will be accepted January 1 – 12 with classes starting January 29. For more information, visit aa.com/naturally-slim.
Flexible Spending Account reminder
As the end of the year approaches, keep in mind that up to $500 of your unused 2017 Flexible Spending Account (FSA) funds will roll over into 2018. These funds will be available for use throughout the year in addition to the amount you elected during annual enrollment. However, any amount over $500 will be forfeited. You have until June 15, 2018 to submit your 2017 claims for reimbursement.
And as a reminder, Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (DCFSA) funds will not roll over. All DCFSA users will continue to have a grace period until March 15, 2018 to incur claims, and up to June 15, 2018 to submit 2017 claims for reimbursement.